Pages

September 9, 2013

Being Twilight Sparkle for a day


I haven't posted for a while.  It's been a busy few weeks, but I managed to finish my costume!!!!!  I went to the Baltimore Comic Con as Princess Twilight Sparkle! 


An adorable Pinkie Pie and myself as Princess Twilight Sparkle from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Twilight Sparkle with Doctor Who balloons!
Princess Twilight Sparkle (Laurel) with Steampunk Harley Quinn (Jenn)

I can't even begin to tell you how many little girls asked to have their picture with me.  It was so cute!!  I really wish I had gotten more pictures of myself though...  I plan on wearing the costume again for Halloween so I'll make sure to get pictures then.  I'm also planning on making a Spike costume for Lily (my chihuahua).

OK so now on to the costume.  The dress was modeled after the Twilight Sparkle from the MLP movie "Equestria Girls":




The dress was McCall 6283.  I didn't deviate from the pattern because I didn't have much time to complete it.  I originally was planning on a corset and steampunk inspired skirt until I saw the movie and realized I'd rather be that version Twilight Sparkle.  Unfortunately I already had lavender and purple costume satin in my stash because I would have gone out to get the exact color of the dress.  I still think it turned out well!

The wings definitely took the most time to complete.  I probably worked a good 20 hours on them.  I constructed the skeleton from 12 gauge wire, made the large feathers by from craft foam (they're also textured to look like real feathers), and hand dyed all of the other feathers.  It was a

The horn and ears were made from Model Magic and were incredibly lightweight (so lightweight that I didn't even notice them on).

I don't think I'll EVER want to make wings again - but I'm sure I will.  I loved having wings!!  I do know that I will probably never dye feathers again.  That was just awful.

So now begins the task of deciding what costume to do for next year.  I'm taking suggestions, so let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment